Police say disabled veteran shoots Port Arthur man after road rage

On Sunday, October 6, at 9:39 PM, Beaumont police responded to the 1700 block of Burton in reference to a victim of a shooting. When officers arrived on the scene they found a 29-year-old Port Arthur man with multiple gunshot wounds.

Witnesses told officers the homeowner, a 50-year-old disabled veteran, shot the Port Arthur man after a road rage type incident.

Witnesses said the homeowner was in a vehicle with his family, traveling home. The homeowner’s daughter was driving and approached an SUV on Highland. The Port Arthur man was driving the SUV and swerving in and out of his lane of traffic. The homeowner advised his daughter to pass the vehicle when the Port Arthur man sped after them following them to their home. The Port Arthur man exited his vehicle and approached the family. The disabled man told his family to put their heads down while he retrieved a handgun from his vehicle. The disabled man advised he feared for his family’s safety and shot the Port Arthur man.

Beaumont EMS arrived on the scene and transported the Port Arthur man to St. Elizabeth Hospital for further medical treatment.

Detectives are still taking statements and investigating the incident.

The Port Arthur man had passengers in his vehicle that gave the same statements. One of the passengers was a young child.

Apple Security Guard Shoots, Kills Armed Robbery Suspect At Dallas Store

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) — An armed man who broke into an Apple store in Dallas was shot dead by a security guard early Tuesday morning.

Around 2:30 a.m. Oct. 8, the suspect attempted to break in to the Apple store on the 3100 block of Knox Street near McKinney Avenue. Police said a witness stated he was wearing full body armor and was armed with an assault rifle.

The suspect attempted to disarm the security guard — a retired Dallas police officer — but was unsuccessful. The security guard was able to pull his weapon and fired multiple times, striking the suspect.

The suspect — described as an adult black male — was taken to Baylor Medical Center, where he subsequently died.

The Dallas Police Department’s Special Investigations Unit is conducting an investigation.

Apple has since released the following statement:

“Our teams are working closely with local Dallas Authorities regarding an incident at our Knox Street Store. At about 2:30 am today, an armed man entered the back of the store while construction was underway and an altercation ensued with an on-duty contract security officer. The loss of life is a tragedy and we are grateful that no one else was involved. Apple cares deeply about the safety of our customers and employees and we are committed to providing a secure environment for all who enter our stores.”